4 Nov 2013

CAFE HABANA

New York, NY

On my very first trip to New York, I went to Café Habana in the beautiful Nolita area. It had recently been featured in a travel guide, and there has been a perpetual queue outside ever since. The meal was so memorable that I have made a point of going back every time I am in town. This casual Cuban/Mexican restaurant serves tacos, salads and even burgers, along with their famous corn on the cob. This renowned snack means that a lot of tourists go to Café Habana, so it is not necessarily the most local and authentic New York eatery in that sense. There is usually a half hour wait, which can be spent in a nearby bar as you are allowed to leave your name and come back. On my most recent visit I was too hungry to do that, so instead I went to the next-door casual drop in where you order at the counter. This was quick and comfortable, as we got a table right away. The corn on the cob is great; served with cotija cheese, chili, mayo and lime. It’s such a simple dish, and so tasty. The quality of their skin-on fries is unstable, but when they are crispy they are amazing. Their food goes perfectly with a cold Mexican coke drunk from a glass bottle. Café Habana is a casual and colourful place, perfect on a sunny day out in Manhattan. 

17 Prince St,  New YorkNY 10012


Café Habana on Urbanspoon

Café Habana on Urbanspoon