11 May 2014

THE FARMHOUSE

Burlington, USA

When I asked for recommendations of restaurants in Burlington, Vermont, Farmhouse was the one that came up the most. It is located just off the main street, in a site that used to house McDonald’s. This branch of the infamous burger chain is one of the few that has closed down due to little turnaround. The people of Burlington are very health-conscious (despite it being the birth town of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream), so the Farmhouse took over, selling locally sourced food and beer. We went there on a weeknight, and the place was packed. After a quick drink at the downstairs bar, we got a perfect table outside. To start with I had a tiny portion of VT Cheddar Ale soup with garlic croutons. This was super good, and I’d gladly have it as a main dish. We also shared a starter of Marrow Toast, from which you couldn’t taste any bone marrow, so I don’t recommend that particular dish. The staff kindly divided our mains into two plates so that we could share easily. We had the burger of local grass fed beef, and gnocchi with rabbit meat. I always hesitate to order rabbit because I had them as pets when I was little and they’re cute, but they were also pretty darn delicious. The house-made gnocchi was in the shape of wide, flat bands, which made it feel closer to pasta, something I really enjoyed. The burger meat was cooked to a very juice level, and we got a sense that all of the ingredients were fresh. The fries were crispy, which is a must, and the portion sizes suitable. All in all it was a really good meal, with friendly service and a lively but relaxed ambiance. I understand why it is so popular. The Farmhouse Group also have a nearby Mexican cantina called El Cortijo, which I really wish I had tried while I was there. It’s a good reason to go back to the cosy town of Burlington though.







Farmhouse Tap and Grill on Urbanspoon