30 Apr 2013

THE QUALITY CHOP HOUSE

The Quality Chop House is a historical restaurant dating back to the 19th Century when it used to be a place for working men to get the chop of the day. This year, it has been restored in a manner bringing it back to its roots. It is a small eatery serving straightforward British food in a cosy, Grade ll listed space. I didn't go for a full meal in the dining room, but had drinks and small plates in the wine bar. I still wanted to post about this restaurant though, as I thought it was very charming. I believe it has a lot of potential as a dinner spot, and I would like to go back to try it. With the possibility to dine in a private room upstairs or to pick up a hot take-away sandwich at lunch, this restaurant has something for every occasion. Whisky is served in old-fashioned crystal glasses, and the dainty tableware could be taken out of a grandmother’s home. The night we were there, the drink delivery was running late, so the wine list was pretty limited. I didn't mind though, as it made the decision-making easier. The wines are described in a vivid way so even I could have some idea of what I ordered. Out of the dishes I tried, the warm Spring Greens with Almonds was my favourite. Several portions of sourdough bread and butter also helped fill me up. The veal was served with fish that was overpowering; I would have preferred it on its own. The bar menu changes every day, so these things might not be there anymore. I enjoyed the service and the atmosphere at the Quality Chop House, and will probably go back soon.  




92-94 Farringdon Road, London, EC1R 3EA


The Quality Chop House on Urbanspoon